The Human Gait Institute (“HGI”) was organized April 11, 2008. It is a Colorado non-profit corporation. It has obtained exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the federal Internal Revenue Code. Its principal office is presently located in Wheat Ridge, Colorado.
The purpose of HGI is set forth in its Mission Statement:
The mission of the Human Gait Institute is to assist people in reaping the benefits of innovative lower extremity orthotic technologies by supporting and/or conducting research, by fostering education and training for orthotists in these technologies, and by providing resources to support patients who are considering or using these technologies.
HGI seeks to continue programs that are ongoing and to develop new programs as more innovative bracing is developed. The current programs emphasize the Dynamic Bracing Solutions orthoses (DBS) technology (see Appendix A of the DBS Handbook under Resources). Once these programs are solidified through testing and experience, HGI plans to use similar formats in connection with other innovative new bracing technologies for the lower extremities. The current programs include:
- Training of health care professionals in the creation and utilization of DBS
- Objective research regarding the use of DBS
- Networking among DBS wearers
- Acquisition and dissemination of information regarding innovative orthoses
- Financial support for the acquisition of DBS by potential wearers